Monday, February 16, 2009

Netbook

I spent $140 dollars today on a filling cabinet and spent thirty minutes looking at $200-250 dollar netbooks. I am all too aware of how much I like to think up new things and that much more on how long they last. Top on my list of things that fill this description is the palm that I bought about 8 years ago. It didn't end up fitting into my life the way I thought it would. Contrary to my leanings, the Dell's keyboard feels better than the Acer's. However the Linux on the Acer was smoother and easier to use that I had imagined. The discovery that MS Works that comes installed on the Dell is Office 97, the same program that I have been installing happily since then, only drives me away from the Dell with it's choice of operating systems. I am hoping that regardless of my choice I adopt this digital switch, the same one that inspired this blog. Another happy reflection from this trip is that I don't think that a student will see any substantial difference between Linux and Microsoft and that adults will likely find that any loss in familiarity will be replaced in ease of use. While only time will tell, I am glad that the price and the possibility that this computer could become a student resource if it does prove to be a gadget will prove the impending purchase worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment